Sunday, May 23, 2010

Willis Family Reunion

On whim this past January I invited all my cousin's, Aunts and Uncles to join the Don Willis family down at the Coral Pink Sand Dunes. Not thinking much of it and actually thinking that at best maybe 1 or 2 families would come. Boy was I wrong!!!
What started as a whim turned into a 4 day reunion with ALL but 7 people attend. This family of 4 kids and my grandparents has turned into a full 67 strong and growing. How impressive that is! While this was one of the most stressful things I have planned and one of the things I have learned so much from - it was also one of the funniest weekends. We haven't been this together for at least 5 years... I say that shockingly as we all grew up so close as an extended family and after my grandparents passed and cousins started marring and starting families the get together grew farther and farther apart. So really this was so much fun to see everyone and chat.
With 67 people and 35 of which were kids under the age of 12 you would think we would have had fight after fight... just the opposite. It was amazing! Everyone shared, took turns riding the machines, the bigger kids helped the little kids, no toys were MINE, and food was a free for all. I am so impressed with that and it says a lot about how they have all been raised.
All in all - it was a wonderful weekend!
Everyone waiting for the machines to come off the trailer!

Nephew Spencer

Cousin Sally's son Jonathon

The best pic I got of Darren all weekend.

Preston waiting for a ride!

Cousin Russ, Aunt Becky, Aunt Jane and Sherine

Cousins - Peggy, Jamie, Bryan and Lilly

Cousin Lisa with her son's

Bryson playing in the mudd - see how nice and clean he is trying to stay.

Cousin Katie and her son Ben

The results of Preston and Mudd
Nice face!

The very tired Newly Weds - Jamie and Bryan were married 1 week before we left and drove from the California honeymoon straight to the sand dunes... what troopers

The Art and Ethel Willis Family - Est. 1941

Uncle Brent was unable to attend - what is so great about this photo is that I have one that is of them like 30 years ago in the exact same layout - just a lot more polyester and plaid :)
The Ray Willis family - everyone except David and Caryn's family

The entire Don Willis family - missing Jessica and Zack

1 comment:

Deming Family said...

What a great trip. You are a trooper to plan such an event. I'm glad you had such a great turn out and that everyone got along so well! Sounds like it was a total sucess!