Friday, September 23, 2011

Chicago 2011

 Darren and I got a chance to go with some friends to Chicago for a few days... we were so excited to get away for a bit just the two of us. Chicago has been one of those cities on our list to see. Darren loves big cities - if it was feasible at this point in our lives we'd pick up and move.
 We flew into Atlanta and arrived at 10:30pm and had an overnight layover. Our flight to Chicago didn't leave until 6:30 the next morning. We opted to sleep in the airport... UGH! We had Doritos's and Pepsi for dinner and got about 2 hours of combined sleep.


 After checking into our hotel - which was super nice and great price on a blow out sale we happened to catch. They put us in the wrong rooms to begin with but after we got that straightened out all was well. We went out to see the sights, we walked through the park and saw the Bean - and head off to lunch... we were all starving.
 Of course you cannot go to Chicago without going to the Willis Tower - formerly known as the Sears Tower - I am quite partial to this name :)


 The buildings looked like a Lego city, it was very surreal looking down from that height.


 Our friends and crazy couple who invited us - Laurie and Steve
 Yes - We went out on the clear platform... want to take your breath away and give 21st century technology ALL your faith and trust... do this!!



 And we took the EL-train almost everywhere that was not within walking distance... super fun as well, just because of how hold it was. I did not however love that Darren had my ticket and kept locking me on the street side till I danced for everyone watching... ok - that did make things fun!



 Just getting a drink, this guy in the photo thought it was so funny, he kept watching as Darren told me up and down till the angle was right. The digital photo's change every so often
 Even in large cities the geese get in the way!

 Loved the fountains... SLC needs more cool old fountains


 Navy Pier with my huney!



 This statue took on a new meaning to me - I had brought comfortable shoes but they were slip on style. So we went to Sketchers and bought me a new pair - within an hour I had huge blisters! Ouch! I kept walking the day through and later that evening I bought new pair... silly me - So I came home with half dollar size blisters and two new pair of shoes... score!

 Eating lunch at Harry Caray's - Laurie and Steve thought we were crazy but we wanted to eat all the time. We probably ate 6 meals a day, some were smaller than others.


 Darren hanging onto the building tops
 I was trying to SMASH the buildings... instead the angle wasn't right and I just look crazy!
 I fell in love with the big city too, Have to admit I wish we were a young married couple so we could up and move.
 You'll see more pics like this - Darren was often found waiting for us.
 Super cool domed ceiling in their ballroom building at the end of the piece. Each tress is light up with thousands of bulbs.
 Just getting a feel - what he is laughing at is I could not get my camera to work so he was standing there forever!
 We rode the famous 1893 replica  Ferris Wheel

 Went to the Lego store - when are we going to get one in SLC?
 
 I have a ton of pics of the buildings in the city - I love the old style architecture.

 GINO's - great pizza but even better atmosphere


 
 Went to a comedy club one night - it was very funny, and we kept clean and left before the "adult"session started... I was proud of all of us as I think we all secretly wanted to stay!

 Went and saw the museums.  These pics were for Preston - he loves armor and fighting stuff



 Waiting on a Woman... yep - those were our hubbies a lot of the time!


 And I have a dozen or more pics of Darren's hand!


 Again... Waiting on a woman!

 Billy Goat - we went to the original one and it was super funny to listen to him say Cheezborger... kinda intimidating though - I made Darren get me a refill...



 This building has famous building pieces from across the states - happy to see our Temple there.

 Did a one man comedy show - it actually was super funny
 We took a water tour of the city and got our history of architecture around the city.
 What's not to love about this skyline at night? so pretty!
 We got stuck by this water fountain that was suppose to reach across the river but came up  5 feet short (or something like that) We sat here forever and then at the lock forever to get back into the lake - Darren was dying the whole time... he didn't go potty before we left like he should have... it was hard for me not to laugh at him.




They ended this - our last evening - with fireworks at the pier, perfect ending. The next day was Sunday and we had planned on spending the morning at Wrigley Field - however we were flying standby and after 2-1/2 hours of searching for flight patterns home we ended up buying last minute tickets just to get home. So we didn't see the field - which I was pretty let down about, and I know Darren was even more than I. We also didn't make it over to the Temple like we had hoped we would. But we saw all the sights, even went to the Blue Man Group. Although it ended on a stressful note, it was so nice to be away with good friends and my super great hubby! We really needed the break and alone time. Can't wait till our next fun adventure.

1 comment:

Kami Anderson said...

Looks like a lot of fun. I'm glad you were able to get away for a weekend.