I've been reading a book recommended from my pediatrician - Taking Charge of ADHD by Russel A Barkely - I recently review my highlights form the book - I am 25% of the way done (I read on my Kindle) and I have 10 pages in highlights. Here are a few of the "Ah-Ha" moments that I have gone through. I know that when I am actively learning and reading I find patients in my understanding of how Preston ticks.

*They do not sense time as well as others, and therefore cannot manage themselves relative to time, deadlines, and the future generally as well as others are able to do. This includes intervals of time as short as 10-20 seconds. Time escapes them, and they are never as able to deal with it as effectively as others of their age group do.
*When all a child focuses on is the moment, acting impulsively makes sense.
*maximizing immediate gratification as much as possible
*ADHD, is a developmental disorder of self-control. It consists of problems with attention span, impulse control, and activity level.
*These problems are reflected in impairment in a child's will or capacity to control her own behavior relative to the passage of time-to keep future goals and consequences in mind.
*Children with ADHD look normal. There is no outward sign that something is physically wrong within their central nervous system or brain.
*ADHD consists of three primary problems in a person's ability to control behavior: difficulties in sustained attention, impulse control or inhibition, and excessive activity.
*ADHD have two additional problems: difficulties following rules and instructions, and excessive variability in their responses to situations
*Those with ADHD will lag behind others in this ability, perhaps by as much as 30% or more. That means that a 10-year-old child with ADHD, for instance, may have the attention span of a 7-year-old child withoutADHD.
*The boys with ADHD, I discovered, played with three times as many toys as the other boys and spent 50% less time playing with each toy.
*Children with ADHD have a lot of trouble waiting for things
*What is most important to understand about children with ADHD is not simply that they move about too much-it is that they behave too much. They are much more likely to respond to the things around them in any situation than are children without ADHD of the same age.
*What those with ADHD have trouble with is not so much that they look away more than those without ADHD (although they do that too); it is that they have much more trouble returning to attend to the task they were doing before their attention was broken.
*When normal children develop emotional self-control, part of what they are doing is internalizing their emotions and keeping them from public display. The emotional reaction exists, but its public display is being restrained.
*ADHD involves a problem in the development and functioning of the frontal area of the brain.
It's just a few highlights.. and I am sure by the time I am done with this book there will be another 40 pages of highlights. But I love this little guy all the same and am so grateful for the learning I am going through.

*They do not sense time as well as others, and therefore cannot manage themselves relative to time, deadlines, and the future generally as well as others are able to do. This includes intervals of time as short as 10-20 seconds. Time escapes them, and they are never as able to deal with it as effectively as others of their age group do.
*When all a child focuses on is the moment, acting impulsively makes sense.
*maximizing immediate gratification as much as possible
*ADHD, is a developmental disorder of self-control. It consists of problems with attention span, impulse control, and activity level.
*These problems are reflected in impairment in a child's will or capacity to control her own behavior relative to the passage of time-to keep future goals and consequences in mind.
*Children with ADHD look normal. There is no outward sign that something is physically wrong within their central nervous system or brain.
*ADHD consists of three primary problems in a person's ability to control behavior: difficulties in sustained attention, impulse control or inhibition, and excessive activity.
*ADHD have two additional problems: difficulties following rules and instructions, and excessive variability in their responses to situations
*Those with ADHD will lag behind others in this ability, perhaps by as much as 30% or more. That means that a 10-year-old child with ADHD, for instance, may have the attention span of a 7-year-old child withoutADHD.
*The boys with ADHD, I discovered, played with three times as many toys as the other boys and spent 50% less time playing with each toy.
*Children with ADHD have a lot of trouble waiting for things
*What is most important to understand about children with ADHD is not simply that they move about too much-it is that they behave too much. They are much more likely to respond to the things around them in any situation than are children without ADHD of the same age.
*What those with ADHD have trouble with is not so much that they look away more than those without ADHD (although they do that too); it is that they have much more trouble returning to attend to the task they were doing before their attention was broken.
*When normal children develop emotional self-control, part of what they are doing is internalizing their emotions and keeping them from public display. The emotional reaction exists, but its public display is being restrained.
*ADHD involves a problem in the development and functioning of the frontal area of the brain.
It's just a few highlights.. and I am sure by the time I am done with this book there will be another 40 pages of highlights. But I love this little guy all the same and am so grateful for the learning I am going through.

No comments:
Post a Comment