Sunday, May 8, 2011

Temple Mountain - Goblin Valley

Happy Mother's Day - Darren took me camping for the weekend with the boys - not your idea of Mother's day... that's no problem. For me I grew up camping over this weekend so it was nice to get away with just my family... a perfect time for me to focus on why I am a Mother. Upon recommendation of our friends the Parker's we went down to the "Back of the Rim" which basically is the backside of Goblin Valley, primitive camping! That's right, drive till you find the spot you like and claim it to be yours. And after an hour of driving we found the perfect spot! one that we will definitely go back to... I loved it, we were up a canyon up against the wall. We got sun around 9:30 and were in the shade by 3:00 - can't complain about that.

The boys could walk up the rock against our camp and go straight to the cliff wall... they spent hours throwing rocks ...

Looking up the canyon.

Darren after camp had been set up taking a breather with his boys... and a Power-Ade

Camp set up - Check... now it's time for fun

Camp fires and Marshmallow's, one of the best combo's in the world!




On Friday we drove past Goblin Valley to a hike called Ding and Dang - it's a loop trail that starts at the river bed and goes up to the cliff rim and then back down. Our friend has said that Dang is pretty hard so we went up Ding - or it could be the other way around... I can't remember. All I know is that is was such a pretty hike. We originally took the wrong turn off, so we back tracked probably a full 1/2 mile, which with 3 kids and southern Utah heat is a long ways. But we pushed on and found the right trail... It is full of narrows, boulders to climb over and walls to scale... so pretty. Preston was always about 20 yards in front of us, there wasn't an obstacle he could not get over himself. Darren carried Weston on his shoulders the ENTIRE way as you'll see from the pics, I have no idea how he did it.





















This is as far as we made it... we didn't want to go much further as the boulders and obstacles got bigger and harder and with Weston it made it a challenge. So we turned back. Preston ran out of energy the last mile, so we took baby steps back and Bryson, Darren and Weston went ahead. when I got to the truck I found out that Darren has cradle carried Weston - sound asleep - for that last mile... needless to say Darren was plum tuckered out! A fun day though and a hike I would love to go do again.
On Saturday we went over to Goblin Valley and to the still standing houses at the base of Temple Mountain. Darren and I had the worst feet aches from our shoes (which we returned back to the store) so we didn't go on the second hike we wanted to go on. But it was still a fun day, and a bit relaxing. It got really windy in the afternoon which blew sand around our camp and didn't make for a fun dinner and evening. But we made the best of it and drove to Hanksville to get some ice cream.




















We let the boys do the Junior Ranger program at Goblin valley - which isn't something we would normally do, but the boys loved it and learned new things. The Ranger took us on a hike back to a cave where each boy was sworn in as a junior ranger... my flash was off and none of the picture took :( but they have their badges and are so pleased with themselves.








No comments: