Saturday, September 26, 2009

Bon Voyage! - Hello Caribbean!

Darren and I left immediately after the Happy Couple left their open house to the airport. Our flight didn't take off till Midnight, but we didn't want anyone to have to take us out too late. It was a crazy week between the wedding and getting ready to go, I sat at the airport hoping that we had everything. I thought that by 10:00 I would have the boys settled and Westie asleep, but instead the open house got over at 10:00 and everyone was still wild. So we put the boys in the PJ's and turned on a movie for some settle down time. I wanted leave them sleeping, I thought it would be easier... wrong-o... I don't think it is every easy to leave your kids.
Our first flight was all night 4-1/2 hours, we tried so hard to sleep and simply could not. My stomach was upset, probably from anxiety of leaving the kids, so the flight was uncomfortable. We then had another flight to catch with an 1-1/2 layover in JFK airport. That flight was 4 hours and again no sleeping. Have you ever sat in an airport and looked at individuals who are incredibly overweight and think... how do they fit in these seats? Well, that jinxed us! We noticed a larger woman and guess what... we sat right next to her. She was the window seat, so I took the middle and Darren the isle. She took up a third of my seat so it was really an uncomfortable ride. On top of being tired and hungry we were both uncomfortable. We landed in San Juan at about 1:00 in the afternoon... that's right for those of you doing the math about 13 hours of flighing and airports. Once we got over to the ship, I was amazed, amazed at how large it actually is. We got all checked in, through customs and on the boat by about 2:00 - we were exhausted and HOT... it is so humid down here. The first thing we did was throw on some shorts and tank tops. We explored the ship for a bit and then took a nap! Somewhere between waking up, dinner and leaving port, it hits me... I am leaving my kids for 8 days. No looking back now, I am out in the ocean. I got emotional and tried hard to be brave but it was a failed attempt. Darren was really good about comforting me through it and I know so much of it was how tired I was. So we headed off to bed at about 9:00 - pathetic I know but we were tired! Bon Voyage, we are off now for a great adventure.

No comments: