Saturday, October 3, 2009

Saturday - St. Croix

By the time Saturday rolled around Darren and I felt like we had been washed and hung out to dry. Each island we visited we wanted to get all of it in, and by the time St. Croix rolled around we didn't seem to care as much. We had to get some shopping done so we spent the morning doing that. Kim, Flora and Sam had done an excursion for snorkeling which we didn't sign up for. So we were on our own, and when you take two individuals such as Darren and I and turn them loose on an island at the end of 7 days... not much got done.
We did jump into a taxi tour over to the other side of the island, this is a bigger island but is very unpopulated due to the size of rainforest that is completely protected. The island is pretty and seems to be still living a bit in the history and not present day. We spent some time on the other side of the island and then had out taxi driver drop us off at a resort not far from the ship harbor. It was really pretty and we snorkeled there as well. I was so ready to be done that I didn't even take pictures, just laid out!

Pretty relaxed when the Police drive scooters

The rainforest

More of the rainforest

An "old" building - I say it that way because they had spray foam around the door and window frames

They have these trees that grow flat, they are fat at the bottom and the narrow in thickness as it gets taller. I wish I could have gotten a side view. They are really funny looking
A view of the Atlantic coming out of the rain forest
Out there a bit is where Christopher Columbus put down anchor.

The "Monument" of his second landing

Their local harbor

Local costume

Local dance group, posing for pics outside the boat

Leaving St. Croix

Darren and I with St. Croix in the background

On final look of the island

My final towel animal - a stingray

No comments: